Moderated Mailing List Template 1.2
What is a moderated mailing list?
A moderated mailing list is a mailing list which many people subscribe to but where posts must be approved by a moderator before being distributed to the list. This would typically be used for large mailing lists where the content must be limited, mailing lists for minors or covering sensitive topics, and lists where a minority of subscribers are allowed to post.
How do I use it?
Commands and posts are sent to the public address. This is also the address which appears in the From: field of messages sent out by the list. Commands accepted are subscribe, unsubscribe, subscribe digest, and help. Once a month, subscribers will automatically receive the help message via e-mail. Mail sent to the public address by the moderators is ignored.
Each announcement list has it's own secret address. No one should ever see this address except for those authorized to post, it acts like a password. When posts are received by the public address, they are forwarded to the moderator for approval. To approve a message, the moderator should redirect or forward the message to the list, putting the publicly known address (the address people send subscribe and unsubscribe requests to) in the To field andthe secret address in the Bcc field. An example outgoing message might look like:
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 96 10:23:05 -0400
Subject: Message to post
The secret address scans the RFC822 header and body of the message for the secret address, to insure that it is not posted by accident.
To make a new announcement list, take the following steps:
- If you haven't already, read about importing templates
- Launch the ListSTAR Server
- Choose "New Moderated Mailing List..." from the "Scripts" menu
- At the prompt for the moderator's email address, enter the address which should be authorized to post. This address is automatically entered into the "Moderated Moderator Address" address list if it doesn't already exist there.
- At the prompt for the listmaster's email address, enter the address where mailer-daemon mail and error messages should be sent. This address is automatically entered into the "Listmaster Address" address list if it doesn't already exist there.
- At the prompt for the address and display name of "Moderated Mailing List", enter information for the public address mentioned above, which all subscribers will see and use.
- At the prompt for the address and display name of "Moderated Secret Address", enter information for the secret address mentioned above, which only the moderators will see and use.
- At this point ListSTAR will be busy for a few moments as it duplicates files and imports them into ListSTAR. If your Services window is open, you will see "Moderated Mailing List", "Moderated Secret Address", and "Moderated Timer" appear in alphabetical order. When this is finished, a dialog will appear reporting exactly how many services, address lists, and AppleScripts were created.
- The new template is now created. You should rename the new services and address lists. In most cases, you can just replace "Moderated Mailing List" with "Your List Name" as appropriate. The names are not themselves important; it is just important that the names are unique and easily identifiable.
- AppleScript, as well as the scriptable Finder. (System 7.5 or later.)
- Version 1.1 of ListSTAR or later.
If you have any questions or problems with these templates, join the ListSTAR-Talk mailing list on the web or by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word "subscribe" in the subject.