Mailing List Template 1.2
What is a mailing list?
A mailing list is a discussion list which anyone can join. This would typically be used for product support, chat style discussion, or workgroup communication.
How do I use it?
Posts and subscription requests are sent to the public address. This is also the address which appears in the From: field of messages sent out by the list. Commands accepted are subscribe, subscribe digest, unsubscribe, digests, and help. Once a month, subscribers will automatically receive the help message via e-mail.
Any message received by the public address which is not recognized as a command is interpreted as a post. If the sender address is a subscriber, the message is reflected to the rest of the list. If not, the message is returned to the sender informing him/her that s/he is not authorized to post.
To make a new mailing list, take the following steps:
- If you haven't already, read about importing templates
- Launch the ListSTAR Server
- Choose "New Mailing List..." from the "Scripts" menu
- At the prompt for the listmaster's email address, enter the address where mailer-daemon mail and error messages should be sent. This address is automatically entered into the "Listmaster Address" address list if it doesn't already exist there.
- At the prompt for the address and display name of "Mailing List", enter information for the public address mentioned above, which all subscribers will see and use.
- At this point ListSTAR will be busy for a few moments as it duplicates files and imports them into ListSTAR. If your Services window is open, you will see "Mailing List", and "Mailing List Timer" appear in alphabetical order. When this is finished, a dialog will appear reporting exactly how many services, address lists, and AppleScripts were created.
- The new template is now created. You should rename the new services and address lists. In most cases, you can just replace "Mailing List" with "Your List Name" as appropriate. The names are not themselves important; it is just important that the names are unique and easily identifiable.
- AppleScript, as well as the scriptable Finder. (System 7.5 or later)
- Version 1.1 of ListSTAR or later.
If you have any questions or problems with these templates, join the ListSTAR-Talk mailing list on the web or by sending a message to email@example.com with the word "subscribe" in the subject.